Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Some changes...

I never really like to say I'm accomplishing something until I'm near the end. I feel like I set myself up for failure by announcing my successes and triumphs early in the game. But changes are a funny thing - they can go be a success or failure which is why I feel "safe" mentioning a few changes to my lifestyle.

For one, I'm measuring out 64 oz. of water in a pitcher...it helps me monitor my water drinking throughout the day. The weird thing is that I wouldn't even come close to drinking that much water if I didn't measure it out but when I measure it out, I easily consume more than that. Strange. But drinking the "required" amount of water each day does make me think better and I feel better, more healthy and alive for sure.

I'm also making more thoughtful decisions about dinner. I LOVE food...and if you have been reading this blog for any amount of time, you already know that. One great thing about me is that I really don't like to eat out. I find the food subpar, both in quality and for the price and I always feel that I make a meal 10 times better than most places. I also don't buy junk on a regular basis so having stuff like candy and chips is easy to avoid when you don't have access to it. Anyway, I've really made more of an effort cook healthy recipes from my Cooking Light mags (I only have 10 billion of them sitting around) and they make a point of measuring out portions. It's insane to know that my average portions are easily double what Cooking Light's portions would be BUT the CL portions fill me up just the same! Check out Cooking Light online since you still have access to all the recipes without having to buy the magazines.

Physical activity. I won't lie...I'm either one extreme or the other. I'll be finishing up my "Couch to 5K" running program only to find myself a month later doing absolutely zero activity. But I do love running and so I've started the program back up. I would love to be able to run an average of 5 days per week when all is said and done...I want this to be a lifelong habit. Oh and my most fave ways to get a home workout done is through FitTV. We have DirectTV with access to this channel and it simply is awesome. My fave program is the All Star Workout. Different workouts every day by different instructors with different fitness levels. So on my off days from running I'm doing one of their workouts at home. I also have plans to meet up with a personal trainer at the gym since I just got a membership there. Should be interesting but I love a challenge and I love variety.

So, what did we have for dinner last night? Another delicious creation from Cooking Light (March 2010)!

Vegetable and Spicy Sausage Soup with Cheese "Crackers" with a Baby Green Salad

No comments: